Today’s focus: Making Music Online
Let’s collaborate and create together – online! Today we will hear from a range of fantastic organisations about how they have approached and supported collaborative online music making in different contexts, concluding with a live, creative singing workshop with Jaka Škapin.
10.00 – 11.30am
Inclusive Music Making with Groups
Explore how to support groups to help them start making music online, with case studies from:
- Rosie Hood from Live Music Now will share how they have worked with schools, including special schools.
- Music teacher Matthew Annable will discuss how he created an online guitar club for his pupils.
- Music Making SENse will talk about how they supported children with additional needs to make music together.
12.30 – 2pm
Making Music Online with Young People in Challenging Circumstances
Two organisations share their experiences and learnings:
- Participatory community music charity Evolve Music will highlight the benefits of online music making with young families in challenging circumstances such as ease of access for carers experiencing high levels of anxiety, growing digital skills, and in-depth interventions with families at risk.
- Liverpool-based theatre company for social change, Collective Encounters, will discuss their online music making work with young people who are looked after and have experience of migration. The projects included music production, lyricism, beat making and performing – they will share their journey in this informal, open session!
- Q & A
2.15 – 3.45pm
Working Online with Young Ensembles and Orchestras
- The Irish Association of Youth Orchestras will share the development of online technology to keep youth orchestras and ensembles engaged and active during Covid-19. To include, innovations developed for Zoom and current experimentation with real-time-audio software; and the process of deploying Jamulus for real-time rehearsals in a project with violinist Katherine Hunka and the Irish Chamber Orchestra.
- Orchestras Live will discuss Share Sound, their major digital project, which enables professional orchestras to work with Music Hubs and explore the digital creative space for ensemble music making. Hear how they are working closely with several partner Hubs to shape bespoke delivery plans that will meet their specific needs.
- Plus Q & A
4.00 – 5.00pm
Interactive Singing Workshop
Creative facilitator and producer Jaka Škapin will explore online group vocal and movement improvisation as a tool to inspire more singers and leaders to give Zoom another go and keep creating as we transition back to in person sessions.